Volunteer opportunities are available. Along with having passion for the Taft Museum of Art and its collections, the only prerequisite is that you must be a member. For more information, please contact the volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or (513) 684-4517.
Interested in being joining the Docent class of 2015?
The Taft Museum of Art is recruiting docents (volunteer museum guides). Docent trainees meet for classes Wednesday afternoons September through May. Graduates of training make a commitment to serve as docents for a minimum of three years.
Docents are ambassadors for the museum and share the slogan “Cincinnati’s Home for Art” to those they encounter. Docents work with those of all ages in a professional manner as gallery guides, tour providers, and teachers of children and young adults in school programs.
Docents further their understanding of art through continuing education by attending regularly scheduled meetings and walk-throughs for special exhibitions, and engaging in local and national docent activities.
Docents develop new tours and work at improving touring techniques, aware of the need to preserve the best of the past while using contemporary trends in touring, such as connecting art with other disciplines.
The Docent is work sixteen (16) hours per month in museum programs. The sixteen (16) hours must include:
All of the three (3) following activities:
- Lead scheduled non-school-based museum tours.
- Participate in curriculum-based school tours.
- Serve as gallery guides in their first three (3) years.
In addition, two (2) of the following activities:
- Artists Reaching Classrooms
- Talks of the Taft Speakers’ Bureau
- Alzheimer’s programs (Memories in the Museum)
- Weekend and evening events
- Leadership on Docent Council
- Special program development in coordination with the Education Department
- Other educational on-site or outreach programs developed by the Education Dept.
- Fundraising leadership
- Assisting museum staff through special skills or by appointment
Docents are also required to attend monthly docent meetings and any special exhibition walk through trainings.
Please click New Docent Application 2014 to download the application. The application period closes on August 28th and classes start in mid-September (exact date TBD).
Please send completed applications to Lisa Morrisette at email@example.com. For more information on volunteer programs, please contact Erin Holland at 513-684-4517 or firstname.lastname@example.org.